Re: Requesting a change to the BugStatusWorkFlow: Closed/UPSTREAM

Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> Essentially, when closing this bug as UPSTREAM, we are communicating to
> our users "This will get fixed. Probably. And it will get pulled into
> Fedora eventually. Probably." Most people, when they can actually be
> convinced to file a real bug report (even through ABRT), are doing so
> because they have an issue with the software and want to know when it's
> fixed.
>
> Closing things upstream requires that the reporters (who already likely
> had to be coaxed to file a bug in the first place) now also have to
> manually choose to go and create an account on an unrelated bug tracker
> if they want to follow along on the resolution of the issue.

In some cases, this *is* the most appropriate resolution, though. For
example, I get the occasional RFE, or request for a behavior/appearance
change, or even for some bugfix that requires rewriting an entire subsystem
of a package.

In that case, I will likely open up a bug upstream, and close the Fedora
bug, because it is really not up to me at all when, or *if*, such a bug gets
fixed; as a downstream maintainer, I'm not going to put changes of that sort
into Fedora alone, and upstream may very well decide not to do it.

For the hypothetical bug I might get of 'port GnuCash to GTK 3', I don't see
why a simple CLOSED->UPSTREAM is wrong. (Unless you'd prefer
CLOSED->WONTFIX, as I'm not fixing that myself...)

Bill