Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] Retiring packages for F-17

On 19 January 2012 23:23, David Tardon <dtardon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 06:50:50PM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

>> > I disagree. The existence of a package triggers certain assumptions: the
>> > package will be maintained and keep working. That's the point of there
>> > *being* a package, after all. So if there's a package for something, I
>> > don't check for security updates for that 'something' myself. I figure
>> > the packager is doing that for me.
>> >
>> > So if I wind up with an unmaintained package installed, my security has
>> > just been reduced.
>> >

>> Yes, I agree with this completely. If something is not being maintained
>> in Fedora, it's better to retire it. Then a user who wants that piece of
>> software will have two options:
>> 1) They can build it and maintain it themselves on their own system(s)
>> 2) They can choose to build and maintain it for Fedora by unretiring it.
>
> 3) They can choose another distro that contains the package(s).

That is not a bad thing though.
A) The user will be happier because they have support
B) Our developers will be happier because they can focus on what they
want to work on
C) That distros developers will be happier because they have enough
users that want what they are producing.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd