Re: Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:53 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:05:37 -0600, RS (Richard) wrote:
>
>> 2011/11/22 Bruno Wolff III:
>> > One area where we could probably do more advertising for is getting new
>> > packagers via the co-maintainer route. I think most of the new packagers
>> > still come in by packaging a new package. I think we really want most of
>> > the new packagers coming in as co-maintainers.
>>
>> Yes, this seems to be an chicken-or-the-egg issue. There seems to be
>> permanent resource shortages with package maintenance which means we
>> need more contributors, and then at the same time there are hundreds
>> of package reviews languishing, many of which need sponsors.
>
> Uh, come on, ... package submitters waiting on the NEEDSPONSOR list
> could _really_ work a little bit more actively on persuading potential
> sponsors of their packaging skills. Instead, some wait silently for
> months without doing any package review themselves.

That may be true, but from my own experience, it could also because
they're intimidated by the whole process. Submitting my first package
I certainly felt intimidated by the process.

I was lucky I had good sponsors to walk me through the process but I'm
not sure that everyone is.

> In other cases, reviewers post reviews, but it takes many weeks or
> months for the package submitter to respond. What does that tell
> potential sponsors about the submitter's motivation to become a
> package maintainer?

I won't argue that that doesn't happen because it does

> Btw, it has happened before that people have been sponsored without
> doing a couple of package reviews. Sometimes as a result of them
> actively seeking for a sponsor. That may be easier than waiting for
> magic to happen. We still don't have enough package reviewers.
>
>> I don't want to get too far off topic but being short handed is
>> directly related...
>>
>> Does the sponsor processes need to be more formalized? Currently you
>> must be nominated (either by someone or yourself) but there's no
>> concrete requirements on a knowledge or skill level required to be a
>> sponsor.
>>
>> To bring it to a more personal level, I have no idea if I've done or
>> proven myself enough to become a sponsor or not. If I am deficient in
>> an area, there's currently no formal feedback mechanism for me to know
>> in what areas I need to improve.
>>
>> I can't be the only person stuck in this nebulous position...
>
> And still there have been self-nominations before.
> You could look up FESCo tickets of past nominations.

I never thought about that, perhaps it should be added to the contributor wiki?

> Are you an active reviewer?

It comes in spurts when I have time, but yes. That also begs the
question: How does a sponsor find future sponsors? Just because I
complete an informal or formal review doesn't mean that a sponsor sees
it, unless there's some system that provides visibility that I'm
unaware of.

Thanks,
Richard