Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Given that I'm migrating bunch of legacy init script to native systemd
ones and I have come many packages that seem that maintainer(s) have
deserted them but for some bizarre reason we still continue to package
and keep rolling them between release and now I came across bug 738442
which seriously begs the question that the whole cleanup process needs
to be revisited.

Instead of everybody that are doing needed work in the distribution
having to run around after maintainers trying to find out if they are
still active or not and initiate the unresponsive maintainer policy,
cant we revert the process and have maintainer(s) having to reassure
their ownership on their package(s) at the begin of each development
cycle and if they dont do that before x time, the package(s) they
maintain will be automatically orphaned and given up for someone else to
grab and take ownership before x time runs out and if nobody does they
get remove from the distribution?

I cant image how much resources across the project have been spent on
packages that no longer are being actively maintained but have not been
removed from the distribution.

JBG