Re: Fedora clean up process seems to be seriously broken...

Dne 21.11.2011 21:56, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" napsal(a):
> Given that I'm migrating bunch of legacy init script to native systemd
> ones and I have come many packages that seem that maintainer(s) have
> deserted them but for some bizarre reason we still continue to package
> and keep rolling them between release and now I came across bug 738442
> which seriously begs the question that the whole cleanup process needs
> to be revisited.
>
> Instead of everybody that are doing needed work in the distribution
> having to run around after maintainers trying to find out if they are
> still active or not and initiate the unresponsive maintainer policy,
> cant we revert the process and have maintainer(s) having to reassure
> their ownership on their package(s) at the begin of each development
> cycle and if they dont do that before x time, the package(s) they
> maintain will be automatically orphaned and given up for someone else to
> grab and take ownership before x time runs out and if nobody does they
> get remove from the distribution?
>
> I cant image how much resources across the project have been spent on
> packages that no longer are being actively maintained but have not been
> removed from the distribution.
>
> JBG

I can't agree more. And I have proposal how to improve a bit this situation:

It would be reasonable, on the beginning of each development cycle, to
publish a list of packages which were not touched by it maintainer in
previous release. For all these packages, new co-maintainer could
stepped up and they would be granted the co-maintainers privileges
automatically.

This will not help probably with the initial case you are complaining,
i.e. 4 years old unmaintained package, but it would help with others I
am willing to maintain but the maintainer is nonresponsive. I remember
at leas one example from history when I was not able to reach the
maintainer and at the end he was quite angry that I was so daring to
call him unresponsive, even though I wanted just to help him. Also,
there are other packages I asked for ACL's but never get them confirmed.

Vit