Re: Fedora 16 beta vice Knoppix

On Wed, 05.10.11 10:17, Horst H. von Brand (vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 04.10.11 21:01, JB (jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > Results interpretation.
> > > -----------------------
> > > Knoppix won by a wide margin, while:
> > > - Knoppix having microknoppix fast-parallel boot (based on SysV/LSB scripts)
> > >   and DE with low resources usage and tailored for desktops
> >
> > > - Fedora having systemd parallel boot and DE tailored for small and simple
> > >   devices
>
> >    ^^^^^ huh? Fedora is not tailored for that. Would be great of it it
> >    was, but that's simply not the case.
>
> > We install LVM and iSCSI and all kinds of other enterprisey stuff
> > on even the smallest netbook. [...]
>
> This is a great writeup. Why don't you add it to your "systemd for
> sysadmins" series? And/or some page on boot speedup in the Fedora wiki?
>
> Thanks for the pointers!

Harald posted a blog story about this a while back:

http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-15-8-services-you-can-most-likely-disable
http://www.harald-hoyer.de/personal/blog/fedora-15-boot-optimization

I guess we could do an updated version for F16 of that since a couple of
thing changed since then. For example the SELinux policy got updated now
so that initrd-less boots do not trigger selinux faults anymore. In
fact, initrd-less boots work really nicely nowadays, the only two
missing bit to maybe make it a default is basically that a) the kernel
cannot boot into a partition by UUID, only by logic name which is a bit
fragile [1] and b) Plymouth currently doesn't cope nicely with it since
it's called before the video devices are probed if used without an
initrd.

Lennart

[1] What the kernel can do nowadays is mount a GUID partition by the
GUID, which might be a pretty good replacement -- at least on machines
which have a GUID partition table.

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.