Re: grub / grub2 conflicts

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 03:01:06PM -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Of course, if you are doing all this, it does beg the question of why
> libguestfs couldn't simply mount both the root and boot partitions of
> the guest vm, chroot into the root fs, then issue all the above grub
> commands using the guest vm's copy of grub (I'm assuming grub is
> installed, after all, it isn't guaranteed to be able to boot in the
> future if you uninstall the grub rpm package after guest installation).

I'm wary about running guest code.  Such code can trivially take over
the appliance, and from there try to exploit qemu or send back bogus
data to the library part.  I like to think that libguestfs is
programmed defensively, but it's very easy to make mistakes in a large
C library (let alone qemu).  For more see the "security:" sub-heading
here:

http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html#running_commands

Rich.