Re: what if native systemd service is slower than old sysvinit script?

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/14/2011 06:23 PM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>>> My netbook boots up F14 in ca. 60 secs, while F15 boots up in 62 secs.
>>> I'd call this "below measurement accuracy".
>>
>> What kind of disk is that?
>
> It's ca. 3 years old WD Scorpio Blue 160 GB ( WD1600BEVT) in a first
> generation Atom N270 (32bit only) based netbook w/ 2GB RAM.
>
>> For a mechanical drive any gain from
>> parallel startup  would get killed by disk seeks.
> Sure, slow disks certainly are a factor contributing to slow bootup times.
>
>  In general, there are other factors coming into play, such as parallel
> startup using more memory, parallelization not providing many advantages
> on systems with a small number of CPU cores, hard synchronisation points
> in the bootup process, poorly configured "services", ... and finally ...
> bugs.

The number of CPUs shouldn't really matter as it is mostly I/O bound.

> Anyway, some more figures: On the same machine, bootup times when
> booting from a (slow) external (IDE) USB2 HD:
> - Fedora 15/i386: ca. 135 secs.
> - Ubuntu 11.04/i386: ca. 70 secs.
>
> [Here bootup time: Wirst watch measured time from "grub prompt" to
> "login screen"]
>
> It shows the effect of slow disks (60secs w/ internal HD vs. 2.15
> minutes w/ USB HD), but raises questions on why Ubuntu appears to be so
> much faster in this configuration.

Do they both start the same services? Unless you "tweaked" your fedora
installation where we start a bunch of stuff that pretty much nobody
would use in a typical desktop system that is to be expected.