Re: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide

> On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:27:40 -0500, JC (Jon) wrote:
>
>> I'm not suggesting ddate is mission-critical, I just want reasons for
>> it's
>> removal or re-packaging to be well thought-out, not simply "gosh, I
>> don't
>> sue that, so. . .".  Otherwise we'll start dropping games.
>
> Sure (and not limited to games, which are in optional packages, however).
>
> We do that all the time, if a package maintainer no longer considers
> a game (or package in general) worthwhile, and if nobody else volunteers
> to take over a package. Of course, you're free to adapt as many orphans
> as you like, whether actively maintained upstream or ancient.
>
> Eventually, you'll be in the same situation, where you would like to
> drop something, be it a completely optional package or a plugin [*] you
> consider useless, close to useless, or just broken.  [*] or a program
> with alternative user-interfaces

Absolutely!  I've been there.  It's not the retirement of software I
object to in this case, though I prefer to avoid that, it's the arbitrary
deviation from upstream.  If the deviation isn't arbitrary, I generally
support it.

All that aside, I'd be sad to see ddate go, but that's totally beside the
point. :)

-J

> --

in your fear, seek only peace