Re: [HEADS UP] remove ddate(1) command from rawhide

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 10:27:40 -0500, JC (Jon) wrote:

> I'm not suggesting ddate is mission-critical, I just want reasons for it's
> removal or re-packaging to be well thought-out, not simply "gosh, I don't
> sue that, so. . .".  Otherwise we'll start dropping games.

Sure (and not limited to games, which are in optional packages, however).

We do that all the time, if a package maintainer no longer considers
a game (or package in general) worthwhile, and if nobody else volunteers
to take over a package. Of course, you're free to adapt as many orphans
as you like, whether actively maintained upstream or ancient.

Eventually, you'll be in the same situation, where you would like to
drop something, be it a completely optional package or a plugin [*] you
consider useless, close to useless, or just broken.  [*] or a program
with alternative user-interfaces