Re: GStreamer FLAC to Ogg conversion corrupts audio data stream

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 13:17 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Who can help with moving forward here especially wrt fixing Fedora?

So here's my way of maintaining the GStreamer packages in Fedora and the
way I decide if I need to do something.

The TL;DR version: We track upstream.

Now on to the long version.
It's based on these few things:
1) GStreamer does not have a stable branch
Nothing like the GTK 3.x.y branches exists. Instead, all releases add
new features, like GTK 3.x.0.
2) Fedora does not have a lot of expertise with GStreamer
If you look at the people who write the code upstream, you don't find
(m)any people that are active in Fedora.
3) GStreamer is a very intertwined codebase
Changes in one part of GStreamer can influence a lot of other parts of
GStreamer and result in unforseen side effects.

And from these things I concluded that I'd be careful in fiddling around
with GStreamer. Basically, the rule is "don't touch anything unless it's
affecting a large percentage of people". And I'm pretty happy with how
it's turned out. We haven't introduced huge breakages, in particular not
accidentally.

That said, what do I intend to do about your bug? I don;t think it's
important enough to warrant any work from me. I'll just wait until the
next release is out and that will hopefully fix it.

Benjamin