Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Genes MailLists wrote:

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 17:02:38
From: Genes MailLists <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: systemd: Is it wrong?

On 07/10/2011 07:31 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

Let's just aggree on disagreeing about this approach anyway the last
unit file I submitted does what Steve and you and perhaps many others
want's it to do afaik...

 To be clear - I have as yet no views on systemd unit files et al here
- just saying its healthy to keep things coherent. So my comment is
limited to your specific suggestion of breaking things apart.

 In fact I'd prefer a world where every app config file belonged
directly with the app and not elsewhere - for one thing this supports
having multiple versions of apps whereas if there is a single config
(/etc/app.conf) this does not cleanly support multiple app versions.

 Compare with:

 /usr/lib/app-v1/
                etc/app.conf
                bin/app
                ... etc
 /usr/lib/app-v2/app.conf
                etc/app.conf

 and one can eve make a default versions via soft links much as the
alternates scheme does:

 /etc/app.conf -> /usr/lib/app-v1/etc/app.conf

etc

Which brings up the problem that's been bothering me about the all-in-config suggestion: Where do you put an argument that tells it where to find the config file, especially in cases where you might have different instances of the same program running from different config files, in parallel? Are you going to put it in the config file?

(I'm thinking specifically of the solution I came up with for dhcpd not handling IPv4 and IPv6 in the same instance, where I ran it twice with different -cf options, though I think that might have been fixed in dhcpd since then, but I haven't tested that yet. Yes, it was broken-ish, but sysconfig files letting you work around things like that is certainly helpful.)

--
J. Randall Owens | http://www.ghiapet.net/
ProofReading Markup Language | http://prml.sourceforge.net/