Re: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 22:46 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:

> > > The problem with having specific hostname I had is when I boot many
> > > dozens of diskless machines off the very same network filesystem,
> > > I definitely DONT want them to use the same hostname.
> >
> > But until you can get "the real one" you basically are.
>
> Yes, and as far as it is a temporary condition for a few seconds at
> boot, it's not a problem. So why the rush to set it as soon as possible
> via systemd?

Seriously, what are you arguing about ?
It is so simple to set it via systemd and it *is* an init task that it
just fine to set it in there so all process will just have the right
answer from the get go.

Unless there is a *problem* with doing it early I really don't want to
get int the bike shedding here.

> > > One method I saw in use in real world in this situation is to assign
> > > hostnames by looking up (MAC_address,hostname) pairs in a database (say,
> > > a config file), and then set the found hostname. Of course, this is not
> > > possible until said database is available over network.
> >
> > In this case you are not better/worse than before, once the network will
> > come up you'll add a script to change the hostname.
> > Setting it earlier in systemd makes no difference.
>
> You continue to avoid answering my question: WHY systemd, a service
> management tool, bothers with setting hostname? It's not its task!

Because it *is* a system initialization task, and systemd can do it
better than a shell script called in a random order later on, without,
as far as I can see, any side effects in this case.

> I wouldn't bother much if it would be just one tiny bit of strange code
> in systemd, but it is FAR from being the only such code. There are lots
> of similar stuff, and it's not accidental.

It is definitely not accidental, but unless you have bugs to file, I
don't think complain generically about systemd architecture here is any
productive. We discussed systemd for quite a while here and it certainly
far from perfect, for some things probably not even "good" yet. But its
time to file bugs for real problems, not time for bike shedding on
architectural decision that have been taken quite a while ago, unless
you want to argue for getting rid of it completely and reverting back to
the previous init mechanism.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York