Re: SYSTEMD: Give us a option for upstart

On 06/13/2011 03:27 PM, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
> On 02:12:43 PM Monday, June 13, 2011 Lucas wrote:
>>   >PLEASE give us a option for systems upgraded with yum
>>   >NOT USING "systemd" and force "upstart" as before
>>   >
>>   >* the system is running since years
>>   >* every dist-upgrade via yum was no problem
>>   >* now see screenshot
>>   >* WTF is there to relabel if started with "selinux=0"-kernel-param
>>   >
>>   >WHY IN THE WORLD ARE USERS FORCED TO USE SYSTEMD ONLY BECAUSE
>>   >THEY UPGRAD TO F15? DO THIS FOR NEW INSTALLATIONS BUT NEVER
>>   >ON UPDATES
>>   >
>>   >I DO NOT NEED SYSTEMD ON 20 SERVERS HERE BECAUSE THEY ARE STARTING
>>   >FAST ENOUGH AND I NEED NO MAGIC WHICH THINKS KNOWS WHAT TO START
>>   >IN WHICH ORDER SINCE I KNOW WHAT IS RUNNING ON MY SYSTEMS
>>
>> My opinion:
>>
>> You know what was wrong, sir - you put on your 20 servers Fedora - free
>> software. And that means that you can't get personal support, because most
>> of real developers are employees of Redhat.
>> Have you notice that they use Fedora like a toy, to play with, to test a
>> new ideas, to try new things on it. Developers do not count it like
>> anything serious - it is a toy for them. Today they decided that upstart
>> is wrong and they need systemd, tomorrow they can change their mind, they
>> going to implement btrfs soon. Fedora is a test toy. Do not expect any
>> respect for the long time use. And that is why linux is not so popular -
>> it has always been a TOY and nothing more. Consider to use something
>> different for your server or solve your problems by your self.
>
> The generalization that we(Red Hat associates) see Fedora as a toy is
> INSULTING.
> Do you know how many of us are spending their free time to get Fedora better?
> Do you know how many of us have worked on Fedora(or related things) before
> working for Red Hat?
> Do you know how big part of the Red Hat work is available in Fedora without
> being available in RHEL?
>
> Yes, we have opinions and we stick to them - most of the time without our
> managers even know - because it's smth we do on our own. Speaking personally
> everyone can accuse me of not fullfilling some user's wishes (which I'm not
> oblided to do) but someone saying that I(we) look at Fedora as a toy is really
> hurting a lot of feelings.
>
> Alexander Kurtakov
>

>> Thanks.

What do you think I thought when found that udev was compiled:

* Fri May 20 2011 Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> 170-1
- version 170
- removed /sbin/start_udev

REMOVED /sbin/start_udev - this means that upstart wont be able to start udev without manual tweak.
Upstart reads rc.sysinit and there is still  "/sbin/start_udev". And also this means that any one
who will try to use upstart in Fedora 16 (now rawhide) wont get udev works.

What do you think I thought about all of this?
I wont be really upset if I'll lose upstart, I can clean systemd as I need, but the idea is wrong.
Systemd is just a project, project which may tomorrow be changed, so why all others have to follow.
It should be like selinux, which can be easily disabled "selinux=0".

That is what I think.