Re: What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 10:24:42AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-30 at 09:35 -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
>
> > Again, I'm not against that this is being done, but I would like to see
> > everyone equally follow suit on the way things are traditionally done
> > in Fedora land.
>
> Well, up to a point, Lord Copper. We have a features process with lots
> of bureaucracy and FESCo involvement and so on. What we don't have is
> any clear _enforcement_ of that process; there's no workable system that
> evaluates changes and requires sufficiently significant changes to be
> submitted as features. It's perfectly possible, and has been done lots
> of times, to simply go ahead and commit significant changes that _could_
> have been 'features', not submit them as features, and happily bypass
> the entire 'feature' process with all its bureaucracy. /run would
> certainly not be close to being the first time this has happened.
<SNIP>

So we should disband FESCo and just let everyone commit whatever changes
they want without oversight or community inclusion and just hope it builds
and runs in the end?

I can't stress this enough, I am not against this change and am actually in
support of it. I am also a big fan of systemd and want to express my gratitude
to those involved in all the work being done to make it a reality. I am,
however, a little concerned with the precedence it is either creating or
following in the path of.

-AdamM