Re: Proven tester signup process

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 20:21 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 15:59 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I'm not sure I'd want to go quite that far unless the sign-up process
> > can wave the proven testers instructions in your face quite prominently.
> > They're short and easy to read and understand, but you can't infer them
> > from first principles: we do want to have people read the proven tester
> > instructions before becoming proven testers. That's actually the *only*
> > requirement to become a proven tester. :)
>
> Would it be appropriate to allow anyone to become a proven tester just
> by confirming they have read the instructions?  I'm an interested user
> and very minor contributor, not a packager, and I have been using
> updates-testing since April.  I was turned off by the approval process,
> but I would probably sign up if it were automatic.  Then again, I'm not
> using SELinux and don't wish to enable it at this time, so maybe you
> don't want me leaving +1s.

if that's technically possibly, then probably yeah. Mainly we have the
manual file-a-ticket-for-approval process simply to facilitate ensuring
people have read the page. It does allow us to use spidey-sense to
filter out people who clearly present as not having a clue what the hell
they're doing, though; that's happened once so far (all the moderators
got the same feeling that the applicant clearly didn't have much
experience so we gently steered them in a different direction). But
that's probably fuzzy enough to lose in the interest of streamlining the
process.

We designed the process to work by basically accepting anyone who wanted
to apply, and then we can kick out anyone who subsequently proves not to
be doing it right. So far we haven't had to kick anyone out.

> One issue: as a proven tester, I would lose the ability to leave
> non-proven-tester karma if I only have interest in testing a package to
> lower standards.  (It makes me wonder what the standards for
> non-proven-tester karma are assumed to be.  Is proven-testership the EV
> of karma?  Heh.)

You can leave anonymous karma, I guess. This should be less of an issue
with non-numeric karma as is (still, I hope) supposed to come with bodhi
2.0. (along with the unicorns.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey