Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

On Mon Oct 11 15:39:44 UTC 2010, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Comparing the Ubuntu 10.04 DVD installer (which I use a couple of weeks
> ago) to Fedora 13 DVD installer is like comparing the Cessna to a Boeing
> 747.
> Sure, both can accomplish the same task. Read: transporting people from
> one airport to another, but lets see you try transporting 400 peoples
> from London to NY using a Cessna...
>
> The same logic applies to the Ubuntu installer: As long as you require a
> fairly basic -desktop- configuration (Read: No fancy storage, no LVM, no
> fancy setup source [nfs, dvd, http], -very- basic encryption, standard
> software set and repository selection, etc), the Ubuntu installer is a
> great tool, but once you need something complex, you're screwed.

The Ubuntu installer does let you use a NFS root for your installation source.

On the point of needing something more complex, such as LVM or full disk
encryption, that's what we offer our alternate CD installer (debian-installer)
for.

I'm not challenging your point that the Fedora installer offers more complex
options.  I just wanted to clarify our approach, as our users are not screwed
in these circumstances, we just clearly separate their use cases to different
CDs.