Re: Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 13:57:49 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 08:20 -0400, Brandon Lozza wrote:
>> That's why I propose an easy way to install additional repos. I can't
>> see a non tech savvy user installing the chromium browser on fedora, to
>> be brutally honest. It's annoying having to hold their hand and walk
>> them through it. I don't see why the user can't double click the repo
>> file and have some application do the work for them.
>
> It's already possible, the chromium repo just isn't set up this way
> (it's a bit of work). See the rpmfusion repo setup process for an
> example. It's basically just an RPM which contains the repo definitions;
> you double-click the RPM, PackageKit pops up and installs it, and hey
> presto, you have a new repo.

I believe Brandon want something that openSUSE already does with it's
"One Click Install" -- a small script that drops a new repo file, *then*
issue an install instruction for one of the packages from that repo.

I'm traveling right now, but depending on how good the Internet
connection is, I might be able to work on Fedora-izing the one-click
system. Hopefully not much needs changing to adapt it to Yum instead of
whatever openSUSE uses right now (is it still Zypper? My workplace is
still on openSUSE 11.1 and I don't have a newer version installed
elsewhere)

Cheers,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim