Re: Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 15:34:34 +0100,
  "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, I think you are wrong.
>
> First of all, I can see no benefit in pushing a package that cannot do
> its basic function to Rawhide.  Even in Rawhide, no one wants a kernel
> that doesn't boot, even if in some circumstances they could go to the
> trouble of downgrading their kernel.  If we can test these situations
> easily and reject these packages, we should just do it.  (libguestfs
> %check is a proof by example that such a thing is possible and easy in
> Koji).

My issue was with how much of a problem broken kernels in rawhide are.
It's still a problem, but not as big of a problem as other random
breakage when trying to run rawhide as your desktop.

> Secondly, it does matter that in Rawhide you can at least get to the
> login prompt, log in, and get a shell.  AIUI this was the basic idea
> behind the critical path packages.  From the shell you have a hope of
> fixing things.  Your browser not working is a problem you might be
> able to fix with a shell.  Your kernel hanging under disk load or
> hanging in init scripts (both actual problems with the current Rawhide
> kernel) is a good deal more complex to fix.

Sure, but if you don't automatically switch to the new kernel on every
update (there's a setting to control this), you won't likely run into
that because of a kernel update. You might have something else cause that
though. The downside is that at some point you need to manually go in
and switch kernels.