Re: fedora mission (was Re: systemd and changes)

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 18:58 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:11:06PM +0200, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > What Fedora advertised is "..., Features, First" - that's a developer's
> > distro; Fedora was never "M million happy users, growing X% annually".
>
> For what it's worth: the current statement on the Fedora "target audience"
> includes: "familiar with computers, but is not necessarily a hacker or
> developer".

And also (on "computer friendly"):

"Our community is made up of people, by and large, who are very tech
savvy. The longer people have been involved in the Fedora community,
typically the more expertise they accrue on Linux and specifically
Fedora. However, our user base does not necessarily share this level of
expertise. We do not assume Fedora users are skilled developers or
hackers, although certainly some are."

See also the following things we apparently don't expect users to be
able to do (linked from the User_base page on the wiki):

"Mitigates unexpected changes in existing software"
"Know where to find software for testing"
"Understand how to select or install testing software"

And furthermore, from "general productivity user":

"When the user does not choose that path, though, we should take care
not to inflict those effects on the user. Accustomization is part of the
user's comfort with the system, no matter what the skill level.
Unexpected changes disrupt the user's accustomed environment and might
cause doubt in the stability of the system and the Fedora Project's
ability to manage it."

Great stuff. And there's more in there too. So the current User_base in
addition to being not very well linked and referenced could hardly be
described as reflecting all of the views in this particular thread. When
the target audience is (re)defined soon, hopefully this documentation
can be updated to reflect reality also.

Jon.