Re: a note on order of arguements to systemctl command

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway
<tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/24/2010 03:53 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> On Tue, 24.08.10 14:59, Matthew Miller (mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>>
>>> The service command has a syntax like this:
>>>
>>>  service servicename action
>>>
>>> where as systemctl has a syntax like this:
>>>
>>>  systemctl action servicename.service
>>>
>>> This is inconvienient for the common case where more than one action is
>>> performed in sequence on the same service, since with the first ordering,
>>> one just hits the up arrow, ctrl-w, and then types the new action (with
>>> tab-completion).
>>>
>>> With the systemctl order, one must first skip back over the first word,
>>> which due to the awesome emacsness of bash keybindings is more of a pain.
>>>
>>> I'm not saying that systemctl's syntax needs to be changed. I am saying,
>>> however, that it's important to get the service command working with
>>> systemctl so that people can use that instead.
>>
>> Interesting definition of "important".
>
> FWIW, Lennart, I agree with him here. The smoother the transition we can
> provide for existing admins, the better, and this is an obvious place
> where we can do that.

So do I. I deal with literally 1000s of RH/Fedora servers and
derivatives every day so its quite important for me and the dozens of
other people that I work with that don't follow upstream so closely so
may not be aware of the changes. I'm still trying to work out how to
get systemctl to boot my netbook into run level 5. The usual way of
changing this seems to have no effect and that is a problem.

Peter