Re: systemd and changes

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 05:25:17AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> The "compelling use case" is that it doesn't make sense to maintain 2 pieces
> of core infrastructure code doing the same thing, especially when one's
> functionality is a subset of the other's. (Now the problem is that it still

Maybe. The tradeoff is that it's asking me to run another relatively
complicated daemon on all of my systems, running all of the time, simply for
the sake of configuring something statically at boot time. And maintaining
the legacy system is pretty straightforward. This crosses over into the MTA
thread: clearly, a huge advantage for the laptop case, and some reasonable
arguments for desktop use -- but unless Fedora as a whole is ready to bite
the bullet and declare itself officially no good for servers, some
consideration should be made.

If NetworkManager can be made to bring up interfaces and then get out of the
way when there's nothing but static interfaces defined, awesome. Perhaps
this is where the conversation is relevant to the larger thread: systemd
could take care of that. It could even reactivate the service if the
situation changes.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>