Re: drop default MTA for Fedora 15

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 15:48 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 20:37 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Given the degree to which sysadmins are religious about MTA choice, I'd
> > suspect that a large proportion of people who run an MTA on Fedora are
> > probably already swapping it out with their own preference. I don't
> > think it's realistic to expect us to provide a product that requires no
> > further configuration for server admins, so adding "Install an MTA" to
> > the list of things they have to do is entirely reasonable.
>
> I agree that most admins do swap out the MTA (I always install exim). I
> just wanted to share that I consider there is some value in providing
> one by default, even if it is one that won't please everyone. I /think/
> I'd rather have to remove sendmail and replace it than have none at all.

Current experience with VM images seems to indicate that server people
ideally have a system that comes with very little more than coreutils,
and build a kickstart for anything more complicated than that.

If you want to provide an "I don't care pick one" template for
mailserver images, awesome.  But in general, if you _intend_ to send
mail, you're opinionated enough to pick your own, at which point all
that providing a default does is make the post-install transaction
slower.

Put another way: I don't think you really think that.

- ajax