Re: nonresponsive maintainer policy

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:27:00 +0100
James Findley <sixy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Really?  So imagine this scenario.
>
> Packager foo has two packages, bar and baz.
> bar is a package much like ed, which needs very little attention, and
> goes for a year without anything needing doing to it, no koji
> activity happens.  This increases the hidden little "AWOLness"
> counter.
>
> foo then goes on holiday for a week, and forgets to mention this on
> his fp.o page.
> A bug is found in package baz.  Bug reports are filed - users are
> impatient.  It's noticed that foo has a very high AWOLness counter
> due to foo's other package.

- Maintainer is nominated as AWOL.

- FESCo (or whatever humans are supposed to) look at this and decide
  that he's not really awol, he's just away from his computer.

> He is surprised to learn that he's been declared AWOL and had his
> packages removed when he returns from holiday.

I think much more likely would be that if the bug/issue was security or
critical, a provenpackager would step in and fix it. If he wasn't back
in a few more weeks the packages would be orphaned and passed on to a
new maintainer.

> As I read the initial proposal, this is entirely plausible.

I don't think so. Any process needs to have a human check at the end.
We shouldn't automate it fully as there will be false positives.
Humans should look at the case and catch stuff like the above.

kevin