Re: nonresponsive maintainer policy

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:27:00 +0100, James wrote:

> On 08/02/2010 01:41 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:31:22 +0100, James wrote:
> >
> >> Remember that some packages get very little activity because they need
> >> very little.
> >
> > And these are not a problem at all.
> >
> >> Increasing someone's AWOLness counter because they didn't for example,
> >> update ed is just plain silly.
> >
> > [snipped the rest here]
> >
> > Uh, come on, ... that's not helpful. There are ideas how to detect absent
> > maintainers early by collecting and *combining* information available in
> > the Fedora intrastructure. Not by having a single old stable pkg trigger
> > an AWOL alarm.
> > [snip]
>

> Really?  So imagine this scenario.
>
> Packager foo has two packages, bar and baz.
> bar is a package much like ed, which needs very little attention, and
> goes for a year without anything needing doing to it, no koji activity
> happens.

I also own at least one such package.

> This increases the hidden little "AWOLness" counter.
>
> foo then goes on holiday for a week, and forgets to mention this on his
> fp.o page.
> A bug is found in package baz.  Bug reports are filed - users are
> impatient.  It's noticed that foo has a very high AWOLness counter due
> to foo's other package.
> He is surprised to learn that he's been declared AWOL and had his
> packages removed when he returns from holiday.
>
> As I read the initial proposal, this is entirely plausible.

No. The packages won't be removed. That's not the goal.

It could be, however, that another contributor becomes a co-maintainer
and applies a fix while you are on vacation. And that's a good thing,
provided that the fix is fine. You would return from vacation to learn
that your precious users have not been interrupted for more than a few
days by an unexpected bug. In case it's a show-stopper bug, it could
be that a helpful provenpackager jumps in to apply a fix _even without_
any new AWOL-detection procedure (but provenpackagers are not supposed
to take care of unmaintained packages).

Apart from that, your scenario is overly negative. Sort of a worst-case
assumption. It could be that there is a threshold of N bugs that would
need to be reached before a script would even consider taking a closer
look at some person. More typical are packages, where the packager has
dozens of open tickets, which have not been touched at all in several
weeks/months. They are in a poor state already before someone notices
that the packager seems to be missing.