Re: [HEADS-UP] systemd for F14 - the next steps

On Thu, 22.07.10 08:05, Simo Sorce (ssorce@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > to make real; give reality to (a hope, fear, plan, etc.).
> >
> > but its seems quite an abstract term to associate reality with an
> > abstract computer object.
>
> Dave, I am not a native speaker, but I have the exact (or may be even
> worse) problem. For as much as I try the syntax there is so obscure I
> cannot "realize" what it means *at all*, just by looking at it.
>

> Lennart, "realize" really is a bad bad bad choice, please consider
> changing it while there is still time.

Kay and I have discussed this now. We agreed to fold systemd-install
into systemctl entirely, and replace --realize by --now. Also, we'll
drop some of the options --realize had, and always imply that the init
system configuration shall be reloaded after all changes took
place. This basically means that this
is what will be done in %post in the general case:

if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then
     systemctl enable foo.service
else
     systemctl daemon-reload

     # Optionally, make the update daemon restart or reload its configuration
     systemctl reload-or-try-restart foo.service
fi

And for %preun it'll be:

if [ $1 -eq 0 ] ; then
    systemctl disable --now foo.service
fi

Rationale:

"systemctl enable" installs the unit file in the system by creating the
symlinks suggested in the unit file. It also implicitly reloads the
configuration so that the init system knows about the changes.

"systemctl daemon-reload" simply tells the init system to reload its
configuration, no new symlinks are created.

"systemctl reload-or-try-restart" tells the specified service to reload
its configuration if it supports that. If it doesn't the daemon is
restarted. This is identical to the LSB "force-reload" verb. However we
chose to name this differently because we found "force-reload" not very
descriptive. That said, the tool actually understands "force-reload"
too, as equivalent (but it's not docuemnted). Something similar actually
applies to condrestart. LSB calls Fedora's condrestart try-restart. We
found the LSB name more descriptive and are advertising that, but we
actually understand "condrestart" as an alias for it too. Anyway, all I
wanna say here is that this nomenclature mostly stems from LSB though
with some minimal changes, and we also understand the unmodified LSB and
RH names for compat.

"systemctl disable --now" removes the unit file symlinks from
/etc/systemd/system, terminates the unit before this and reloads the
init system configuration after this. The "--now" controls whether the
unit is stopped or not.

I hope this simplification sounds good to many of you.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.