Re: gcc-4.5-RH in F14

On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 11:31 -0400, Brandon Lozza wrote:
> A mass rebuild would be recommended as the new compiler will produce
> faster code. I believe everything will benefit and it's worth looking
> into. For example I noticed a significant difference on the OpenSUSE
> distro when GCC was upgraded and they repackaged their software with
> it in their development version 11.3. Anecdotal for sure but
> everything seemed faster than the build before that change. Phoronix

Adam's Law Of Software Advances:

People On The Internet always believe that any particular incremental
change produces something faster than before ('Firefox 3.5.6 feels much
snappier than Firefox 3.5.5!'), but that everything is always slower
than it was in previous major versions / years ('Man, Firefox 3 is so
much slower than Firefox 1!')

(Appendix 1: the word 'snappier' is always used in this context.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey