Re: concept of package "ownership"

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 03:28:31PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > I thought rawhide should be more useful and less broken if i recall
> > the latest threads right. Anyways, exactly that's why i do *not* want
> > anybody can do anything with any package. That's just insane, sorry.
>
> This is Fedora. Debian is that <http://www.debian.org/> way.
>
> Please don't destroy what Fedora is all about. If we don't focus on
> packaging the latest software anymore, we will just be another Debian or
> Ubuntu.

There _is_ a middle ground between bleeding edge and extremely stable.

A Fedora release should have a locked version of key shared packages,
such as Python, Rails, etc., should be kept at a specific version (with
upgrades only for bug fixes).

Packages within a release can be upgraded so long as they don't require
the next version of those shared packages. So, if F13 is Rails 2.3.5 and
Rake 0.8.7, then an app that requires newer versions of either should
wait until F14 to push _that_ update out, and not go to F13 at all.
Especially since even a minor upgrade of such a shared component can
break a lot of apps.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/