Re: systemd (Was Re: tmpfs for strategic directories)

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please, judge systemd on technical grounds, don't judge it on political,
> or emotional grounds.

"I'll publish the numbers of a 100% socket-activated boot soon."

I would love to have the necessary data to have an informed public
discussion on the technical merits which include some benchmarking and
some cookie cutter packages to play around with.  I want t be given a
chance to rig up some pathological poor performance systemd benchmarks
that you can publicly cut to shreds as part of the educational
process.

My one concern about the current discussion is that the decision to
move to systemd in the timeframe of F14 is being rushed ahead of the
aforementioned technical judgement.  I can understand your personal
enthusiasm for the move as you are intimately familiar with systemd.
But I'm not sure its adequate to rush ahead until we all have a better
feel on how this works in practise... and how much work its going to
take to convert all our existing packages to systemd styled startup.
The back and forth on your blog between yourself and Tim Waugh about
cups service activation, for example, is something I think we all need
to understand.  I think there is a lot buried in that discussion about
how complex some of our existing services are going to look under
systemd styled configuration.

-jef