Re: Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

On 01/28/2010 04:06 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius<rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>  said:
>> On 01/27/2010 02:17 PM, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
>>> Do you think moving this is a bad idea?
>> Yes.
>>
>> The pciutils are valuable tools when trying to recover from situations
>> when "things go utterly wrong".
>
> So what difference does it make where they are (e.g. why do you say this
> is a bad idea)?

Consider having /usr on a separate partition and /usr failing to mount
at bootup and times at system bootup, during which /usr is not yet
available, because it has not been mounted, yet.

These scenarios are the key scenarios to separate those parts of a
distros which need to be considered "essential" (have to go into /lib,
/bin, /sbin) and which to be consider "non-essential".

> They don't work without other stuff in /usr, so they
> should be in /usr.
Rsp. this "other stuff currently in /usr" needs to move, too.

>>> only problem can be with separate /usr partition but because of library in
>>> /usr it would be already broken and I've not seen any complain about it ever.
>> Well, a separate /usr-partition has never worked on RH-based distros.
>
> I beg to differ; I've been using a separate /usr (mounted read-only
> except during maintenance) on RHL, RHEL, and Fedora for at least 13
> years.
Really? The situation definitely has improved over times, but I recall
times, when not even "rpm" was able to run without /usr.

Consider taking out /usr from your fstab and to check how far you can get.
With /sbin/lspci you will be able to check your pci setup, with
/usr/sbin/lspci, you wouldn't.

Should setpci be used somewhere in bootup scripts, you likely won't be
able to boot up your system at all.

Ralf