Re: Fedora 12 Graphics Issues: Cancel F13 and concentrate on fixing F12 ?

On 11/28/2009 07:31 AM, Terry Barnaby wrote:
On 11/27/2009 08:12 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 20:04 +0000, Terry Barnaby wrote:

Hi,

I did take part in the Radeon test day. Unfortunately the tests did not
really cover 3D and it was difficult to test this using the Live system.
I did feed back this.

Right...that is mainly a product of what Dave mentioned, that general 3D
functionality is unfortunately right at the bottom of the priority list,
at least until we have drivers that work really solidly for basic
desktop functionality. But I'd be happy to have more extensive 3D tests
in the list for future test days, please do feel free to submit some.

But they are a good idea and I would have thought
could be extended to having a test day after a release has been going
for a month or so so more users could take part.

It's not a bad idea, for sure. I'm not sure _I'd_ do it, though, it's
enough work organizing the test days for the upcoming release without
doing ones for the last release too. :) However, we do have a process
for allowing anyone to organize a Test Day. You can propose one just by
mailing test-list or filing a ticket in QA trac, and we have an SOP for
the whole process of actually hosting one:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/SOP_Test_Day_management

so it'd be perfectly feasible for a community member to organize
post-release graphics test events for the stable release. I'd be happy
to work those into the upcoming test day schedule if you'd be interested
in doing it.

Actually it was not me with NVIDIA. I don't have any systems using this
chipset.

sorry, yes, mistaken identity :)

Yes I take your points, but it is hard for users, quite often, to
test the
system and know how to track down where a bug is occurring and report
it.
Generally users and volunteers do not have the experience of how the
Fedora developer community and its systems work, how the graphics system
works and how to test and report issues. So some involvement of
developers
to getting a relatively simple testing regime going may help get this
underway.

We do have a page on reporting X.org bugs:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems

which should cover the major points, and which we try to direct people
to wherever we can. Do you think there's anything missing from that?

Anyway, I have been convinced, from what Dave has said, that things
are being
done and have now started trying to use F12 and will attempt to
report back
issues I see.

Thanks a lot.

Some really useful info in How_to_debug_Xorg_problems. I couldn't easily
find it from the main wiki home page however. Maybe a link to this page
marked "Graphics issues" could be made on the front page (focus users on
improving the
graphics) ?
Could improve the title "Graphics problems and bug reporting" ?
and add some search terms such as "Graphics Problems", "3D problems" etc.
Add some info on what to set for "Bugzilla" fields ?
Maybe the bug reports should include the package version numbers ?
Maybe some simple user tools could be generated to ease and make bug
reporting more useful. Something simple like the following might be useful:

#!/bin/sh
date > bug1
lspci | grep VGA >> bug1
(echo -n "kernel: "; uname -r) >> bug1
rpm -q --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n" xorg-x11-server-Xorg >> bug1
rpm -q --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n" xorg-x11-drv-ati >> bug1
rpm -q --qf "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}\n" mesa-dri-drivers >> bug1
glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer string" >> bug1

It might be worth including info on how to update from fedora-testing
just graphics related packages. Ie add something like:
"includepkgs=kernel* xorg-x11-* mesa*"
to the "updates-testing" section of fedora-updates-testing.repo and
enable the repo ? Also how to revert. Should it state that all tests
should be done with fedora-updates-testing packages ?

I notice there is a new xorg-x11-drv-ati. It does look like things are
moving :)
All we need now is 2 months down the line for Fedora 12.1 to be released
with
updated anaconda and all updated packages in ISO form so that
Joe public can easily install a good working Fedora release ...

Cheers

Terry

Which are the best Bugzilla components to register bugs against:

X11 driver ATI: xorg-x11-drv-ati
3D driver: mesa
DRM: kernel ???

Cheers