Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?

On 11/20/2009 11:58 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

IMO, they are targetting MID devices, competing with Android, Smart phones
and similar.

Not at the moment they're not/
Then please explain what they are targetting.

So far, all of Moblin I have seen was them trying to turn a multi-user environment/desktop into a single-user, Smart-phone/Kiosk-like desktop.

That's a completely different audience as I am talking about: People using
netbooks, nettops and old i386s as inexpensive, "secondary" machine for
everyday, "low end" desktop usage, such as "browsing the web", "word
processing", "presentations", "photo browsing" etc.

They are targeting Netbooks for the online type of device.

What is this? UTMS, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth etc.?

How is this kind of device different from an "ordinary desktop" with UTMS, WLAN, LAN, Bluetooth ...?

They are
targeted at web browsing, Social Networking, Media
(Audio/Video/Photos) and Instant messaging running on small
inexpensive netbook devices. They will do presentations and word
processing quite happily as well as it based on gtk and clutter so all
the usual gnome apps will run but that's not the main target.
In my understanding this is exactly the same target audience as all other "desktop installations" address - So, why does it exist?

Getting rid of the "multi-user overhead", turning Linux into Windows?

Catering the the Telcos to address the TelCos' audiences? This would be the Smartphone/Android etc. audience.

Ralf