Re: gwenview - Re: Orphaning packages

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
A quick way to actually check for such dependencies is to switch to
another desktop environment, say Xfce, remove all the KDE packages and
install one of the KDE apps. It usually reveals dependencies which
are rather silly. I have seen kde-settings, background packages and
kdebase pull in odd dependencies on occasions.  k3b, ktorrent, scribus
et all are often used outside KDE.

It's not like those dependencies bite. ;-) HDD space is cheap.

Not on netbooks it isn't! I'd have to buy a new machine to get bigger
than the 4 G ssd I currently have. There's a reason I nuked the entire
printing support chain, even though it deprived me (for no good reason
IMO) of kcalc.

I don't find it scandalous that ktorrent drags in kdebase-workspace nor that kdebase- workspace drags in Akonadi (and thus MySQL, which is a hard requirement of Akonadi) and I'm not sure the current
subpackage explosion (FYI, rdieter split out subpackages to break
both the links in the offending chain: in upcoming updates, ktorrent
no longer requires kdebase-workspace, only the kde-plasma-ktorrent
subpackage does, and kdebase-workspace no longer requires akonadi,
only the kdebase-workspace-akonadi subpackage does) are a step in the
right direction (as they mean the default installations of both ktorrent and kdebase-workspace/Plasma will be missing features). I'd
rather have "unneccessary" dependencies than useful features not
installed by default.

I have to disagree with part of this. I don't disagree with
kdebase-workspace having a hard dependency on akonadi, but I /am/ leery
of anything that doesn't enhance the KDE desktop having a hard
dependency on kdebase-workspace.

--
Matthew
Matthew