Re: rpm AutoRequires/AutoProvides and dsos not in linker path, do we care ?

Adam Jackson wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 10:06 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:57:53PM +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:
b.2) extend the autorequires/autoprovides in some (handwaves) way to
better indicate the desired match
I like this idea better. AutoReq/Prov should only search system-wide deafult search paths for .so's, perl modules, and any other such objects that it supports.

"system-wide" includes paths mentioned in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*, which are
files provided by other packages.  Suddenly your search scope is
unbounded again.

Thought: Define "system library directories" to a sane default set. Start with this.

For each package, when doing autoprovides calculation, recurse down the tree of rpms needed by this package. For any that change /etc/ld.so.conf.d, add the appropriate directory to the set of "system library directories". Now see if the rpm installs any libraries into those locations. If so, those are autoprovides.

Sound sane?

--
Matthew
XFS is not something I look into the innards of, as I don't have enough chickens to sacrifice. -- Alan Cox