Re: 2.6.29 kernel for f10

On 04/27/2009 10:42 PM, M A Young wrote:
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Dennis J. wrote:

That's really my point. 2.6.30 will be out soon so 2.6.29 will be
outdated again. What is the motivation of putting this much work into
a kernel that will be outdated when released and only have a
shelf-life of 7 or 8 months. Is there some critical feature in there
that makes 2.6.29 so much better than 2.6.27 to warrant this much
effort for so little gain?

By that argument you would never update at all, because there will
always be a new kernel coming along in a few months. There is also a
cost to standing still, because things go out of date, and they would
have to work to back-port patches for security fixes etc.

That makes sense for a long lived distribution but not really for fedora. If I really need to be running the latest versions then I'll update to the next version of fedora when it comes out which is always a maximum of 6 months away. I'm certain there are some fixes in the new kernel that some people will appreciate and there is certainly no harm in getting them but actually spending all this time on apparently rather complex problems between these two kernel versions seems strange if the result will be that short-lived.

I'm mean 2.6.27 isn't the freshest kernel but it doesn't look that bad to me that people couldn't wait for the release of f11 which is right around the corner.

Regards,
  Dennis