Re: System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Actually, I feel s-c-network should be revived and NetworkManager be made
strictly optional.
I'd actually have to disagree. I *love* NM on my Asus (netbook).
Congratulations.

For me,
- NM doesn't work on any machine w/ WLAN
- NM is just bloated ballast on machines w/o WLAN

I believe you are in a very small minority with that view.
Please stop using this ole bolshevist argument. Just because you don't see a problem doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

 It's

great for laptops (or other computers that tend to move around and need to
deal with "foreign" networks,
Seemingly it's sufficiently functional for some people in such situation. I
don't have such demands.

It's more than functional for most people in most situations.

especially wireless networks), and it's "okay" for desktops.
Yes, it works "sufficiently" on my desktops, but ... at which price?
... Instability caused by silly "dark magic",

Oh please.
... Yes, NM is responsible for pulling in dozens of unnecessary daemons/services.

... no cli
... no network profiles

Both valid concerns.

IMO, both hard show stoppers, disqualifying NM from being branded a replacement for s-c-networking.

... bloat

Made up over used word thrown around as as a subject non specific
critic of any software someone doesn't like
Do yourself a favor and check how much bloat (and potential sources errors and vulnerabilities) NM pulls in.

In case you haven't noticed yet: In comparison to s-c-networking, this list is very long.

My network isn't compliated (static IPs, static topologic, yp based autofs,
DHCP).
It's just that NM can't handle it properly.

Since I've been told that NM can handle static IPs now, i don't see
why any of the above would be a problem.
"told" is the key word ... reality speaks a different language.

The problem with it: Due to NM's black magic and the huge set of services it is trying to interact with, it's very difficult to identify the origin of problems.

One prominent and well-known case many people have complained about:
NM's way of dns handling.

Ralf