Re: Draft: simple update description guidelines

Chris Weyl wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Chris Weyl <cweyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[1] You know, it strikes me that it'd be interesting to see what % of
our users actually run through the update list, rather than just see
the little popup and clicking "update now".  Do we track this, and
maybe we should collect some statistics on this before wasting any
more time with this thread?
Simple answer... no we do not have a way to track it...as this the
notification text is part of the repository metadata on each mirror.

Hm.  Just off-the-cuff'ing here, but: could we rig the update applet
to provide info that could be reported back via smolt?  All we'd
really need to capture to settle this is the number of times a user
clicked "Update system now" vs "Show updates -> Review", right? ...and
better yet, if any packages were deselected.  A yum plugin could be
used to report the number of times someone does a "yum update."

That would give us some solid data to work with here.

You'd struggle to find the number of people that read the update information by reading the emails sent to fedora-package-announce though - that's often what I look at to find out what's going to happen when I do a "yum update".

Paul.