Draft: simple update description guidelines

Hi,

The following are a set of simple guidelines for the update descriptions via bodhi (which is used by PackageKit to inform users of what has changed). These guidelines are intended to help end users understand the nature of changes in the update better. Bodhi is not used in rawhide, so these guidelines are not applicable for rawhide updates. Note that this is not connected to the rpm changelog.

I have tried to summarize what has been suggested in a couple of earlier threads. If there is anything else that needed to be added, do let me know. If there is FESCo approval and general consensus, we can add this to

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility

and add a reference to

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/UpdatingPackageHowTo#Submit_your_update_to_Bodhi

---

* All Updates must refer to a upstream changelog or equivalent if one exists. Otherwise a brief description (a couple of sentence at most) justifying the need for an update must be provided by the maintainers pushing the update.

* If there are downstream bugs being fixed or intended to be fixed with an update, it must be referred within the update. Maintainers can choose to let bodhi auto close bugs or close it manually as well.

* For security update, add CVE information, if one exists.

* It is highly recommended that package maaintainers highlight major new features, critical bug fixes or anything else that has a potential high impact on consumers of your update.

---

Please be specific in your comments and try and be constructive. Thank you.

Rahul