Re: Draft: simple update description guidelines

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 January 2009 at 19:18, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

* If there are downstream bugs being fixed or intended to be fixed with an update, it must be referred within the update. Maintainers can choose to let bodhi auto close bugs or close it manually as well.

This is redundant. bodhi has a field for bug numbers and it's pretty
self-explanatory.

* For security update, add CVE information, if one exists.

As above.

As evident in the number of package updates that don't provide any information at all, I think it is helpful and complimentary to existing bodhi descriptions. Also many maintainers are not aware that the update descriptions are being used by PackageKit. Documenting it properly would encourage them.

Nobody reads these anyway, so what's the point? Yum's changelog plugin is
much more useful than this proposal will ever be.

I am sure, quite a few people read them since I have answered questions on earlier guidelines several times. Yum changelog plugin displays the rpm changelog while PackageKit shows the update description in the graphical interface. Both are useful.

Rahul