Re: Is package (gnome-shell extension) split into legacy and current required?

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 12:02:05PM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I maintain the gnome-shell extension for bubblemail. I was informed by
> the upstream developer that in order to support GNOME ≥ 45, he is
> rewriting most of the code. What is currently the master branch will
> support (recent) GNOME versions up to 44.x and there will be another
> branch for 45 and newer.
> Do I need to create something like a compat package or can I just
> switch to the new source/branch from F39 onward? I suppose that a
> bugfix for F37 and F38 down the road is not out of the question, so
> there will be two different upstream branches for different Fedora
> versions.

I maintain Argos, where there's also a PR I'm shipping in Fedora >= 39
because it drops support for older GNOME releases.

Since Fedora only introduces major GNOME versions in new releases, I
think it's safe to use the same dist-git repo and just let the spec
diverges.

Assuming the fixes in the branch that supports legacy GNOME are few and
far between, you can probably do something similar to this:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gnome-shell-extension-argos/c/fed457b5b1a9c70395025e92e85d801d80bae206?branch=rawhide

(in this case, some patches are conditionally applied only to releases
with GNOME >= 45, but you can also do it the other way around)

HTH,

--
Michel Lind (né Salim)
identities: https://keyoxide.org/5dce2e7e9c3b1cffd335c1d78b229d2f7ccc04f2