Re: Is package (gnome-shell extension) split into legacy and current required?

Hi Kevin,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 7:51 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 12:02:05PM +0200, Alexander Ploumistos wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I maintain the gnome-shell extension for bubblemail. I was informed by
> > the upstream developer that in order to support GNOME ≥ 45, he is
> > rewriting most of the code. What is currently the master branch will
> > support (recent) GNOME versions up to 44.x and there will be another
> > branch for 45 and newer.
>
> I assume you mean you maintain the Fedora package? Or are you maintainer
> of the extension and asking what you should do upstream?

Sorry I wasn't clear, I am the package maintainer. Upstream is
extremely cooperative, if something would cause trouble downstream,
they'd be willing to accommodate us.

> > Do I need to create something like a compat package or can I just
> > switch to the new source/branch from F39 onward? I suppose that a
> > bugfix for F37 and F38 down the road is not out of the question, so
> > there will be two different upstream branches for different Fedora
> > versions.
>
> You should target the gnome version in each release, no need for compat
> packages. That assumes versions on the package(s) are such that users
> can upgrade going from one release to the next.

Yes, that will be the case. Upstream uses semantic versioning (well,
most of the time) and the upgrade path will be straightforward since
each branch will be on a different major number.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Best regards,
A.