Re: GNOME terminal limits select-all to what's visible

On 2/8/21 12:28, Kalev Lember wrote:
On 2/7/21 02:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
As it turns out there's a bug where copying a large amount of selected
text can cause Terminal to crash. The work around, which I'm
experiencing in Rawhide, is worse than the bug: select-all is limited
to just the immediately visible text.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-terminal/-/issues/288#note_1015588

Any ideas on a work around for the work around? I don't really want to
have to run script all the time just because I might want to extract a
bunch of text, and then have to deal with ensuing encoding problems. I
also don't want to have to track down a replacement terminal
application either. So far my work around has been to just not fight
this and reboot Fedora 33 where the problem doesn't happen.

I went ahead and filed https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/216 to get the Workstation WG guidance on this.

OK, so Fedora Workstation WG discussed this in today's meeting and
decided to revert this change. I've gone ahead and done that in
vte291-0.62.3-1.fc33 build,
https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2021-06919b9f73

--
Kalev