Re: Thoughts on shell redesign

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 2:53 PM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would really really love it if you could add some kind of workspace indicator to the overview screen (at the top, bottom, or over the windows preview e.g. in a corner), which would show on which workspace I currently am and what the other workspaces contain (just app icons would serve well enough). It could be really small, but it would help a lot.

On the very same day I decided to write this essay (or perhaps even a day earlier, but the copr repo wasn't fully up-to-date), the new gnome-shell received workspaces preview in the overview mode. Eh, why didn't I wait one more day? :-) Thanks a lot!

The same info could be shown on the "switch workspace overlay" that appears at the middle of the screen when you press Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right. Instead of just black and blue rectangles, those rectangles could contain app icons, and it would help people navigate.

This million-dollar idea is still available, though :)