Re: Thoughts on shell redesign

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 02:53:47PM +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> I'm a heavy user of workspaces, I constantly switch between them. I mostly
> don't put two maximized windows on the same workspace. I also use
> workspaces to separate apps by type of work, so e.g. a web browser on the
> first workspace, dev tools or perhaps VMs on the second, a chat on the
> third, a personal browser on the fourth, etc.

Yeah, I'm ending up with a browser window on every workspace with lots of
duplicate tabs.

Long ago I had a setup where I had named workspaces and had configured
particular tools to launch on specific ones. That was very productive for
me. The GNOME workflow doesn't support that very well -- instead, it's great
for ad-hoc grouping and moving things out of the way. You can get it all set
up, but when you have to reboot and restart things it's all gone.

> > * That said, when using the scroll wheel, the switch workspace animation
> >   feels too _fast_. It's easy to get lost if I have more than two
> >   workspaces. I know, it's all subjective, but that's my impression.
> Do you have a free-scrolling wheel? When using a wheel with dents, the
> switching feels absolutely fine for me. Although my mind has problems
> remembering whether scrolling up means moving left or right, perhaps I'll
> remember it after longer usage.

Yes, free scrolling wheel. Interestingly I have no problem with the
direction mapping -- whatever it is doing seems obvious to me.

> You can enable "Center new windows" in the Tweak tool. It's the lesser evil
> for me. It would be great if Shell could be a bit more friendly in choosing

Ooh, thanks!

> > * A dash-to-dock feature I miss: I want the terminal icon to launch a
> >   new window rather than focusing an existing one. I know that's not new
> >   in this but it'd be nice to not have to use this extension. I might be
> >   able to train myself to middle-click, but I'd rather swap the
> >   behavior.
> >
> Just the terminal icon, or any icon? In the first case, that would make it
> inconsistent, and in the second case, that would make it less user
> friendly, I feel. I defined a custom shortcut to launch gnome-terminal in

Hmmm, good point. Mostly just the terminal, but in general, I use the
overview to switch between windows not the dash, so clicking on an icon
there to get an existing window just isn't something I do.

> I created a video here:
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/merge_requests/1547#note_1012548

Thanks -- yes that's exactly it.

--