Re: more newbie-friendly dual-boot instructions?

On 12/6/20 9:27 AM, Naheem Zaffar wrote:

I don't know because I have not done this in a long time. I had issues with needing to reclaim space a few years ago where I needed to do manual partitioning and since then as I know the manual process I have not had to risk taking the "leap of faith"  that everything will be done correctly.

(This is ancient history, but I remember Fedora Core 2 destroying dual boot setups. After running into that and recovering from it eventually, I avoided Fedora until the next release, even though I had learnt how to now fix the dual boot issues.)

Trust but verify seems like a good idea where there is not only potential for dataloss, but we have new users who may have no prior experience of Linux.

I would use it if there was a verify step, but without that I dont know if Anaconda has chosen the right steps (though I remember having issues)

     > In my opinion the most ideal scenario here would be a Windows based
     > pre-installer - it runs the necessary checks that Fedora can be
    installed,
     > sets up partitions and then reboot to finish installation.

    Sounds interesting -- how would this help?

Chris and Neal have outlined options, but the biggest step would be one where the user (who potentially has never installed linux before) is no longer having to take a blind leap of faith. If the process is properly laid out, enough information can be provided through the process to comfort the user through the installation process.

This can be complicated because computers differ in particular Windows versions and UEFI/BIOS options. Ubuntu has a helpful guide:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
I think Ubuntu has an option to install alongside Windows. Maybe this could be something that could be added to the Fedora installer?

One of the main pain points is secure boot[1] - which typically needs to be disabled.

An online guide for Fedora 32[2].

One starting point might be to work with computer manufacturers that are already offering systems with Fedora installed to also offer dual boot systems.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Secureboot

[2] https://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Installing_Fedora_Linux_on_a_Windows_System_(Dual_booting)