Re: Improve metered connection integration

Well of course making systems work better on metered connections is worth working on.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 3:19 pm, Sheogorath <sheogorath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2. Do you think the general approach from the mentioned repository[1],
is the right one, or would you suggest something completely different?

Whether this is a good general approach, I'm not sure. It will only work for services that are systemd units, right? Maybe that's sufficient, since if users don't want apps using up bandwidth, they can simply not open those apps.

I guess it could be a good way to totally disable a service when a metered connection is active. What services would you use it with? Given that the goal is to improve the out-of-the-box experience, we would need a list of systemd services to modify. I guess we should make such changes upstream (as usual), which might produce discussions about using NetworkManager to detect unmetered connections instead.

3. What level of implementation should this change have to be suggested
for Fedora 3X to become a thing? I.e. should I propose it for the next
version already or should I work with it first and propose it in 6-8
months?

If you have a concrete plan, you can propose it now, of course. But this sounds like a hazy plan. :)

Michael