Improve metered connection integration

Hello friends,

I'm currently looking into optimizing Fedora for mixed network usage.
Mixed network as in metered and unmetered conenctions. I know network
manager has an option to mark a network as a metered connection, sadly
only a minority of applications and services take this option into
consideration before up-/downloading stuff.

Therefore I would like to work on optimizing the usage of this function
for background services by introducing a systemd integration. In my
quick research I came across a project on GitHub for Arch-Linux
users[1], that appears to go into the right direction.

But while I could just set it up for my Fedora and enjoy it, I would
like to work on it for a better out-of-the-box experience for Fedora
(Desktop) users.

Therefore I'm here and interested in three questions:

1. Do you think it's worth working on it in general? (Maybe with Fedora
Mobile in mind, independent from Desktop)

2. Do you think the general approach from the mentioned repository[1],
is the right one, or would you suggest something completely different?

3. What level of implementation should this change have to be suggested
for Fedora 3X to become a thing? I.e. should I propose it for the next
version already or should I work with it first and propose it in 6-8
months?

I'm looking forward to your answers.

Greetings
sheogorath