Re: Support for hibernation 2/2: questions

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:12 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But maybe you can beat me to it, and provide a /proc/meminfo prior to
> hibernation attempt, after it fails (used memory above 50%); and then
> use whatever technique you normally use to get used memory below 50%,
> then capture another /proc/meminfo, successfully hibernate and resume,
> then take a fourth /proc/meminfo.

Hibernation succeeds with qemu-kvm, using 'virsh edit uefivm' such that:

  <pm>
    <suspend-to-mem enabled='yes'/>
    <suspend-to-disk enabled='yes'/>
  </pm>

Memory pretty close to 90% full, anon pages consume 73%, perhaps a
couple hundred MiB swap is used. And upon:

# echo reboot > /sys/power/disk
# echo disk > /sys/power/state

The system appears to page out to swap (indirect observation based on
significant swap device utilization after resume, and that same amount
being written to the raw backing file for the VM), produce a
hibernation image, reboot, and resume. Not flawless, the guest qxl
kernel driver gets mad, but it seems non-fatal. The resume very
quickly brings me back to the desktop, and restores ssh sessions -
without passphrases required. (Likely a consequence of neither systemd
nor GNOME initiating hibernation.)

Thus, I can't reproduce the > 50% RAM use resulting in hibernation
failure problem. Two possibilities:

A. Can you first get it to fail using the usual way you instigate
hibernation and then try with the above two commands? I wonder if this
limitation you're running into is a systemd one, and if so, whether
it's a bug or exists for some reason. You might lose data for all I
know, so take precautions.

B. I wonder if the > 50% RAM used problem only begins once a certain
amount of memory is installed, e.g. some kind of max amount of anon
page outs (?) I've asked on linux-mm@

--
Chris Murphy