Re: Support for hibernation 2/2: questions

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:32 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 11:48 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Kamil, can you do a brief write up of your use case or
>> reproduce steps? I want upstream to know that your case is real world,
>> and not some already known contrived case. You can either reply here
>> and I'll reference it on linux-mm@ or you can post directly to this
>> thread if you prefer. Thanks.
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/CAA25o9TvFMEJnF45NFVqAfdxzKy5umzHHVDs+SCxrChGSKczTw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>

> Hmm, what exactly do you want to know? :) Why I use hibernation?

Reproduce steps for hibernation failing. I don't know if it's as easy
as "Launch Firefox, and load 34 pages of bbc.com, then try to
hibernate with 'systemctl hibernate'" - and voila, not enough memory
error.

Basically demonstrate to upstream that this is busted in the kernel,
if it's their intention that the portion of unevictable pages should
be swapped out so there's enough room for hibernate to succeed. And if
not, then what's the facility that needs to be invented (systemd and
DE coordination?) for it to succeed?

--
Chris Murphy