Re: Support for hibernation 2/2: questions

(Now having some regret that I started two threads :P it seemed
logical at the time.)

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/20191226220205.128664-2-semenzato@xxxxxxxxxx/

Wow.

Let's say someone implements paging out anything above 50% RAM usage
to swap. Let's further say someone implements signed hibernation
images to support UEFI Secure Boot. Why couldn't an attacker target
the unsigned swap contents?

>The reason, at least what I found out, is that the kernel first copies the whole memory into your memory (ouch), before writing it to the swap partition. So if you have 16 GB RAM, you can't hibernate if you use more than 8 GB, and therefore an 8 GB swap partition (fully unoccupied) is enough for you. I have tested this multiple times, it works for me exactly as written. So, actually, a swap device sized 1:1 with RAM is already an overkill (unless you use more than 50% of swap size with just regular usage), and 0.5:1 ratio would be perfectly fine if you made sure that swap got used just for hibernation.

Where I came up with 2:1 is from anaconda/blivet code:
anaconda/pyanaconda/storage/utils.py:642:    :param bool hibernation:
calculate swap size big enough for hibernation
https://github.com/rhinstaller/anaconda/blob/master/pyanaconda/storage/utils.py#L654

Note on line 673 it actually could be 3x RAM, if --hibernation were
used, but this flag isn't used on Fedora Workstation so this
computation never gets used. And yet there is a 'resume=UUID' boot
parameter included. Why is this boot parameter set as if we're
supporting hibernation out of the box?

--
Chris Murphy